English clergyman and poet, John Donne (1572-1631) wrote the words, “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main…” Those words, written nearly 400 years ago, are just as true in today’s world. The probability that you can maintain an unobtrusive lifestyle is practically nonexistent.
Yet, why do so many of us insist on going it alone? We become stressed with the prospect of a huge undertaking or the complexities of making a dream a reality without realizing we have a solution: We each need a team to assist us!
Just this week, my wife (Chris) ended a three-hour conference call with her two business partners. They are professional speakers and are now exploring the use of web conferencing for their paying clients. When they began their conference call, none of them knew much about that service but one of the partners knew a lawyer who uses it in his business. For one hour he answered many of their questions and helped them get a great start on their new business segment.
- My wife is part of a team.
- A member of her team brought in an expert to assist their team.
- The stress they were feeling prior to the call was greatly diminished.
I really wanted my own website and spent thousands of dollars learning how to set one up. What I didn’t think about at the time was my ongoing interest in maintaining it. The fact is, I enjoy writing and public speaking much more than website development. I recognize my strengths and passions and willingly hired an expert to be responsible for an aspect of my business that—frankly—stressed me out just thinking about it!
My call to action for you is to look closely at all aspects of your business and your personal life. What inactions are holding you back and are stressful to you? Whom do you know that you can hire or trade expertise with to help you complete projects you can’t seem to get done on your own?
- Make a list of both the personal and professional obstacles currently facing you.
- Make a list of experts who might be able to help you overcome those obstacles. Write their specific talents next to their names.
- Contact each person on your list, explain your situation(s) and determine if using their services would reduce your stress level.
Bottom line: Get experts to help you work out the kinks in difficult aspects of important projects and dreams while you focus on your areas of expertise.